C. is being held in a holding facility (immigration jail) waiting to see a judge. His Dad brought him to this country when he was a little boy, he didn't make the decision to come. He was put in school here and went on to graduate High School. He grew up like any other American (transplant) kid - and moving back to a country that he barely remembers, has no history in, job, home or even much knowledge of - never seemed like a real option to him. Hate him if you want, I don't care, he is my heart and my life. But before you hate or judge, humor me and imagine YOU reaching to the age of 18, graduating high-school and coming to the realization that you don't really belong to any country. Imagine having people telling you to "go back where you came from," even though you don't know where that place was.
I'm not writing this nearly as eloquently as I imagined or making my point the way I wanted. I'm a tad biased and involved if you can imagine.
Through circumstances that I can't go into he's been brought to the attention of the INS. I was planning to petition for his citizenship but shit happens/happened and we didn't get a chance.
No, us being married doesn't help in any way, new laws, a new time.
No, there is no naturalization or immunity because he's been here so long, or because he was so small when he came.
Yes, I've spoke to several lawyers now and there is no chance WHAT SO EVER of him staying here.
He's going to be sent "back." (1800 miles away!)
It'll be most likely 2 months of him being "held" before they get around to doing it.
That's it. End of story.
We've got a plan (ok and 2 back-ups) for what we'll be doing to get him back (legally thank you) or at least us living in the same country (again, legally). SOME country.
I want to be able to share what's going on so I'm just plain coming clean with yall. That and I can't keep my mouth shut.
I've been visiting him in the jail - OMG JAIL!! But thankfully for people in his situation they DO have completely separate holding areas, my sweet baby isn't roomed up with bubba that's killed 10 people, and for that I am terribly thankful.
ALRIGHT!! Ready to lighten up? I sure am. WHEW.
Okay, so yesterday when I drove to visit him (only an hour away, thank goodness.) We had our once weekly 40 minute visit where we sit on stools and talk by phone through 2 inch glass. (not really complaining btw, I'm just so happy to see him) The stools are really low to the ground and to see him well I was sitting on one of my legs to prop me up higher.
When our time was up and I got up to go, I so SO did not realize that my leg had fallen asleep. For real you guys I never even felt the pins and needles! Aww man so when I stood up to walk I had no feeling in that leg and a tumbling down I went. BIG TIME.
I heard popping and snapping and all sorts of things in my ankle and because it was numb had no idea of what I had truly done to it. I had to sit there and wait for the feeling to come back to access you know?
Oh my gawwwdd but MEANTIME as I was sitting on the ground holding my ankle poor POOR baby C was behind the glass staring in horror at his lovely chiquita all mangled on the floor like an idiot. He saw me go down but he couldn't HEAR me tell him that I was fine. I kept waving him to go on and kept trying to tell him that "ha ha, silly me, I'm fine" because I didn't want him to get in TROUBLE because he wasn't getting his ass moving!
A nice wave of nausea swiped over me and I felt the blood draining from my face and it was all I could do to keep smiling at him and waving him AWAY so he wouldn't get tazered or something - all the while trying really really hard not to puke down the front of myself.
And THEN my head started to buzz and I got that feeling you get when you're going to pass out and my vision started to go but C. was still standing there and I swear to heaven I willed the faint away and kept on smiling and waving him away.
When I first fell the other visitors in there were really kind and seemed genuinely worried about me. I got offers of help from a Russian family, a Chinese man and a brown guy that looked like he might own a 7-11. They kept offering to help me up and stuff but I kept telling them that "No, no I'm fine, I just need a minute" - because I didn't want to take even one minute away from their visiting time ya know?
C. FINALLY went on his way with a worried look and I was so damn thankful. I put my head down to the floor and tried to get some blood back into my brain. You guys I SO had to go to the bathroom and I was afraid that if I passed out I'd lose control of my bowels like a dead person. Yes, that was my main concern, screw a possible broken ankle, I am NOT crapping my pants!!
Everyone went back to what they were doing and I laid there like a fleece-covered scarf be-decked beached whale for a tad, until I got up enough nerve to try and stand. I managed to get up and decided that I didn't break anything and tried to walk. HA-HA-HA, ok so there was no walking to be had but I'm a good Hopper. I think my ghetto portioned ass gives me a low center of gravity and gives me good balance.
Turns out I'm not broken just nicely sprained and black and blue and a bit gimpy but all is well. I didn't faint and shit my pants or piss all over so I'm calling it a good day. DO people loose control of their bowls when they pass out? I've fainted a few times but never when I had to "go."
C. and I are going to be fine, we'll be seperated for most likely at least a year but I will try and save and fly to see him at least a couple of times. I'll have my passport in about 3 weeks and I'll be all set for when he get's sent "back."
In the meantime I figure I should brush up a bit more on my Spanish and figure out how to say things like "Oh, I'm ok, just give me a minute." "Ooops, sorry" "No, I don't think it's broke." "Where is the hospital" (donde un hospital?) Hey! I think I've got one, that's cool. I'm on my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




24 comments:
OMG, Hor.
And THAT is a really tough place to be in.
Good luck, hope the lawyer is a good one.
I'm sure you'll find SOMEwhere to live together, and soon!
We will Suki, We've got the U.S. first, and if not maybe Canada, and if not there then I'll get dual citizenship with Mexico and live there but work in the U.S. I'm hoping for the best but I'll do what I have to to be with my baby.
Oh HOR, I am so sorry about all of this. It must be so hard.
We will all be cheering you on through this. I sincerely hope that this gets worked out soon.
Thank You Nicole, and thanx for being so kind and cool about this. It's not a subject that a lot of people tend to be kind tword. I thank you for being so generously gentle with ye ole hor. :)
Now, somebody laugh at me for being a CLUTZ!!! :PP
Ha Ha Ha Ha, you are such a CLUTZ!!!! Feel better?
Hey, I hold no ill feeling towards immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I mean, I have been to Mexico and there are places that are just beyond words to me....if I lived there, I would want to come to the US too.
Now I sound like I am bad mouthing Mexico, which I am not. Love Cancun!!!
Hey, there's a plan, go live in Cancun, be drunk, lay on the beach and all that. You can be a barmaid at one of the super-resorts.
Yes, some people do soil themselves when they pass out . . . and no matter how straight-faced the emergency personel are when they pick your soiled arse up off of the floor, inside their heads they are laughing at you. Hard.
As for you and C. . . . I am so sorry to hear that this is the reason for your separation. I honestly don't know what to think of the immigration situation in the United States - we lived in southern California for 3.5 years, and I know that all of the illegal day laborers that I drove past on a regular basis were the reason I have fresh fruits and vegetables on the table (among other things) . . . so many Americans complain about foreigners 'stealing' their jobs, but I never once saw a white guy lined up to pick produce for the day.
I really hope that things go as planned and that you two are able to find a way to be together soon . . . let us know in advance, as I am sure there will be a blogging hiatus while the two of you, um, 'reconnect'. Love ya!
Hang in there, Horbaby! Where there's a will, there's a way...I know, I know..a bit cliche', but dammit, I BELIEVE!!
And so sorry about your ankle...rest up and elevate, sister. :)
XOXO
Oh, baby! Oh my GOD! Well, I'm so glad that you spilled the beans (oh gawd, no racial intent there, let me get my foot out of my mouth...) Anyway, I'm so glad you told. I know I dont' know you and you don't know me but I've still been worried about you/wishing I could do something, ya know?
I'm SO glad that you get to see him, and that you will get to go visit him.
My husband was illegally here from Canada for years until I married him... just too late for that, huh? Dammit.
You are so brave and sweet to keep a smiling face for your man. I love your description of that.
Hugs.
Aww shit fire, swear to god I near cried. And it made me come out of lurkdom. I'm not from your part of the world but hell the guy was a kid when he got there how could people crack up about him being there? Really freaking hope it works out lady.
Ahahhaahahaha, OMG, you were rolling on the floor of a PRISON! Do you have any idea what you might have caught there? I am so not talking directly to you (via MSN that is) till you get tested!
And THEN we can practice3 your Spanish! Ahahahahahahah! Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.
Poor HOR!! So tell me, does this immigration jail allow conjugal visits? If so, I bet you'll really be walking funny next time you leave.....
Good grief!! How embarassing for you at the jail house! Didn't any of the guards come and help???
I'm surprised that C would be deported even though he was a child when he came over here. I would have thought there would be a time-line, like if he has been here more than 10 years, they'll let him stay or something similar.
I mean, it's not like HE came here on his own when he was a little boy, he was brought here.
I hope something gets figured out soon!!
By the way, I have an award for you. Come on over!
Our hearts go out to you guys. This country's immigration policy is utter and complete fail.
Please let us know if we can help somehow.
I'm sorry to hear what you and C are dealing with. My brother and his wife are looking at the same thing. She's applied for citizenship, but she's going to have to go back to Mexico for awhile. The really shitty thing is that they have a little boy that is going to be caught up in this ridiculous mess. They aren't sure if the little man is going to be sent back with my sister-in-law or be allowed to stay here with my brother.
OH my gosh you guys I am just so in awe of your kindness. I just really honestly am and I'm a tad speechless. I'm not sure how to type here just how you've warmed my heart with everything you've said. I can think of about 20 cliches but they're just not good enough (lol Sassy, yours was cool ;)
I'm on the road for a bit today - back in a big-rig and stolen away from my desk but when I get back I'm gonna comment to all of you.
*insert really smart and moving and beautiful statement of my apreciation HERE*
Thank You
Oh. My. Gracious. What a bad day! I'm so sorry for all the crap that's happening with you a C. It's not fair. I'm hoping and praying for a break for you....okay, maybe not THAT kind of break! Be careful, Hor-gal!
:o) BJ
good luck, hor. for reals.
Good luck, Hor. Sounds like you need it, but also like you have a determined streak in you that won't let you be beat. Good!
Hope your ankle is healing. Yes, take it easy, but also keep it moving, keep walking on it. Much harder to restore full mobility if you let it seize up. Believe me, I know this!
Nicole - Oh lord I could never be a bar maid! I'm far too polite. :P I plan to still get certified in personal training - there are people that need to lose weight EVERYWHERE. (yeah even in my own body!)
Driving - I had a feeling that no matter how professional the doctor or nurse, that poo is still poo to them and they are human enough to be grossed out or laugh. I KNEW IT!! Oh thank gawd I didn't pass out. And Thank You, by the way, thank you.
Sassy - I need to put out the good waves!! Vibes? I like vibes. :PPP Thank You :)
Kat - you crack me up with the "beans" thing! LOL yeah he's a beaner, it's all good. :) And Thank You for your kind words.
Ms Anonymous- Thank You for coming out, and with such nice things to say. Honestly, Thank You. :)
Krissie - I love you, that's all.
Dyck - HA! That little mexi-melt WISHES!! Okay and me too. I'd rock that burrito alllll up in the prison.
Jenny - LOL, no the gaurds didn't help but they ASKED if I was ok. :PP And Thank You for the award!!! I swear once I get up the gumption to do a post about it I will, and will pass it on. Thanx :)
Tyler - Thank You :) Yeah, Mexico. I've never been there - talk about an adventure, holy crap.
SomaCow - Awwwwwww you're right, and Thank You, I apreciate it. :)
Sevs-lil-secret - It's that going back and waiting 9 months THING
that really does suck, I get you. Jeez I'll pray the best for their child, that would be even harder than what I'm going through, and really I can't imagine.
BJ - You crack me up - Aahahaha "crack" get it? Cracked bone? Ba-da-dump! We are a goofy pair yes? :P Thank You.
Jeremy - You big Teddy Bear - I KNEW it! (thank you, really though)
Rob- Thank YOU for seeing my "determined streak!!" I try and tell myself that I have one, but it's nice to hear someone say it. And ha ha, no worries about not walking on the ankle, I get quite a bit at work. But thank you for the advice, and kind words :)
Hey horgirl, is there some way to contact you outside this here venue? It's nothing weird, I just wanted to ask you something that I don't want everyone else to hear. I'm mysteeeerrrriiooouus that way. Send me an email from my blog if you want.
"Imagine having people telling you to "go back where you came from," even though you don't know where that place was." What kind of a narrow-minded bigot must you be to say that to someone?
I have my fingers crossed. This shit made me cry. But things will work out.
Anon - I really appreciated your comment, Thank You ok? Thank You.
Oh hon, I wondered if that was it but had no idea he was jailed - what a total, utter fuck of a thing I'm so sorry... good for you for being so positive though. Big love.
Post a Comment