Friday, May 18, 2007

I knew I was raised a Redneck

I talked to my Mom today and she was really excited to tell me about my Dad's bought with a chicken killing predator this morning.

My parents have a big ole fenced in chicken park with a happy chicken house. The fence keeps out most critters and does it's job pretty well but every once in a while they get a persistent predator that has to be trapped or "taken care of."

My mom said that this morning they woke up to quite a commotion outside and saw a punk trying to climb the fence. My dad ran out and scared it away but shortly later I guess it decided to come back.

Not a good idea pal.

My Mom said she was sitting in the kitchen, waking up and drinking coffee when she heard a loud ass blast from INSIDE the house. She ran back to their bedroom where the noise came from and saw my Dad standing there with one of his guns. He was pretty excited having "taken care of" the problem and my mom was a little perplexed until she saw that the window screen was gone.

She assumed that he had removed that part of the window to have a shot without going outside and scaring it away. But no. My dad said that the critter was on top of the actual chicken house and he didn't have enough time to get outside so he made the snap decision to shoot through the window.

The screen was gone because he shot it out of the window frame.

My Dad has great aim and got the intruder with one humane shot so he was pretty damn excited regardless.

Any questions about my hillbilly upbringing?
I doubt too many.
I love my family.

9 comments:

Krissie said...

So he just shot through the window?
lololololololololol
I wish I could do that. I'd be shooting aloooot of people... Now pretend I didn't say that.

D-HOR said...

No prob. I've always got a bag of lime.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've gone and done it, now I have to read your blog too. As if a lazy lump like me has an extra few minutes a week... Gee, actually I do, that's the upside of being a lazy lump. Like doing one less sudoku puzzle will kill me.

Anyway, since I was raised on Grampa's farm in western NY, I have just one question. What kind of critter was it? Or wasn't there enough left to discern?

I appreciate your suggestion and I'm considering it. Is there a way for me to contact you without posting here so I can ask a few questions?

Sassy Blondie said...

What else was he supposed to do? Just tell me it wasn't a raccoon trying to steal eggs? I can't get behind killing the lil masked bandit.

I shot through a window once...at what I thought was an intruder. Another ridiculous story that I promise to blog soon.

D-HOR said...

I was kind of reluctant to post the animals identity cuz I don't think that it's leagal to "take care of" them and I don't want the DNR showing up at my Dad's house.
My Dad usualy traps and releases before taking this last step but this guy just wouldn't stay away.

But no it was most defintely a killer not an egg sucker.

Upstate you can e-mail questions at lindy DOT willson at UAP DOT COM

Sassy? Wow. You and your gun, I swear.

jenny said...

You know you're a redneck when the screen stays up with a big ass hole in it for months and months afterwards!

I got locked out of the house once, and my baby was in there all by herself and me and the 2 older girls were stuck outside. I remembered the bathroom window was usually left open (for obvious reasons) so I figured I could cut the screen open and plop the older girl inside and open the door for me. So, cut the screen out and the damn window was locked! Moved to the bedroom window, cut the screen, it was open, whew! To this day, we still havent fixed the screens. I guess I was a hillbilly before we ever decided to move to hillbilly country!!

D-HOR said...

Being locked out of the house is SOOO sucky. I go into fits thinking about those hide-a-key ugly rocks and animals that are WAY obvious and can never come up with a decent alternative.

Chino locked us out a few weeks ago and we had to break the lock on our door. The scary part was how easy it was, and I made him put in a dead bolt the next day.

Jenny, you rock.

CruiserMel said...

Obviously I wasn't raised a redneck because when you first said a "punk" was trying to get in the chicken house, I thought you meant a teenager or someone with rainbow hair from the 80's. See? I totally suck at this stuff. And to think, I actually like nascar!

D-HOR said...

It's ok Cruiser I was just having trouble coming up with adjectives for the critter other than it's actual name. I think my parents would use punk just like you thought it was, but likewise not about an animal.